Outlook is a premier email client from Microsoft that helps users to configure their email in it and thus download emails from the server to the user’s computer. Even though Outlook is a great email program, it can give you a few troubles at times.
One of the most annoying troubles with this email client is that when you try to launch the program, you may receive an error that says, “cannot start Outlook”. This error can occur due to various reasons like a corrupted add-on, troubles with your .pst file etc. In this post, we will find out how to fix this error.
Using resetnavpane switch
- If you are using a Windows XP computer, select the option Start and open Run window.
- In the Run window, enter outlook.exe/resetnavpane and click OK.
- If you are using a Windows 7 computer, open the Start menu and type outlook.exe/resetnavpane in the search field, and press the Enter button. This should open your Outlook program without errors.
Updating your outlook program can avoid numerous Outlook issues. The updates from Microsoft would include patches to fix the known issues with the program and therefore, it is important to install the latest updates for the program.
- Go to the official website of Microsoft and go to the Update section.
- Find if there are any updates for your version of Outlook program.
- If there are updates, download them and install the same. With the latest updates for the program installed, Outlook should be working fine.
Open Outlook using Safe Mode
Outlook safe mode is a great option to launch your Outlook program. This method can be helpful if your Outlook program do not launch due to a corrupted extension. In this mode, the extensions and add-ons in the program are disabled. Follow the steps below to launch the program in safe mode.
- If you are a Windows XP user, click the Windows logo on your keyboard and launch the Start menu. In the Start menu, click Run. In the Run window, type outlook.exe/safe.
- If you are using a Windows 7 machine, type outlook.exe in the search field of the Start menu and hit Enter.
We hope that the steps listed above have helped you to fix the issues associated with the error “cannot start Outlook”. For further assistance on Outlook issues, you may contact Microsoft chat support or our technical support team.
Daniel Jones Google+